Home Global News24.com | Bantu Holomisa claims new acting public works DG was appointed through ‘the back door’

News24.com | Bantu Holomisa claims new acting public works DG was appointed through ‘the back door’

0
News24.com | Bantu Holomisa claims new acting public works DG was appointed through ‘the back door’

Bantu Holomisa has slammed the appointment of Alec Moemi.

Bantu Holomisa has condemned Alec Moemi’s appointment.

  • UDM leader Bantu Holomisa has made several claims about the appointment of Alec Moemi as acting director-general at the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure.
  • Holomisa claims Moemi was appointed through the back door.
  • Moemi was brought in from the transport department.

UDM leader Bantu Holomisa claims that newly appointed acting director-general at the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure Alec Moemi was appointed through the “back door”. In a letter addressed to Mondli gungubele the Minister in Presidency, Holomisa stated that Alec Moemi was approached by senior department staff.

READ | Suspended public works DG Sam Vukela not returning to work anytime soon

Staffers raised concerns about the circumstances that led to Moemi’s appointment.

” According to my understanding, Moemi came from the Department of Transport where he had been a director general, however, his contract was terminated. In October 2021, Moemi was appointed deputy director-general: facilities at the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure,” Holomisa said.

Furthermore, Holomisa claimed the post was never advertised.

“In January 2022, Moemi was made deputy director-general for the property management and trading entity. We heard that on 11 April 2022 the suspended director-general, Sam Vukela, was barred by the Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure from returning to work, despite the General Public Service Sector Bargaining Council finding that he was unfairly suspended. Then on 12 April, Moemi was appointed acting director-general, allegedly with the view to fast-track his appointment as director-general,” Holomisa said.

Public Works DG saga: allegations are that the acting DG was brought in using a back door, with a view to make a permanent appointment.We wrote to Minister Gungubele, asking to confirm or deny the allegations. pic.twitter.com/ZyQ3KQBuyN

— Bantu Holomisa (@BantuHolomisa) April 22, 2022

Vukela was suspended on 29 July 2020 after allegations surfaced of massive spending on the funerals of struggle stalwart Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, former Cabinet minister Zola Skweyiya and former chief of state protocol Billy Modise at a cost of R76 million to the government.

Vukela was suspended. There were concerns. Opposition parties raised concerns about why Vukela was being paid millions of rand per year while he was at home. Vukela earns R1.8 million a year.

Holomisa claimed:

From what I have been told, this situation is adversely affecting morale within the staff ranks at the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure.

READ | No findings or sanctions against officials implicated in Beitbridge scandal – Patricia de Lille

In his letter to Gungubele, Holomisa said directors-general may be political appointments, “but this seems to be an anomalous situation where a deputy director-general is ‘brought in through the back door’ with the end-goal of making that person a director general in the hope that no one notices”.

Gungubele’s spokesperson, Nonceba Mhlauli, did not respond to a request for comment.

Once received, it’ll be added.


Did you know you can listen to articles? Subscribe to News24 for access to this exciting feature and more.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here