Home Global Owner ‘petrified’ after puppy bitten in face by poisonous snake is unresponsive

Owner ‘petrified’ after puppy bitten in face by poisonous snake is unresponsive

0
Owner ‘petrified’ after puppy bitten in face by poisonous snake is unresponsive

Hollie Serginson, from Lingdale, thought her 16-week-old puppy was going to die after an adder snake bit his face and cost her PS1.8k in vet bills – now she’s warning other dog owners

Cute puppy

Rocco developed a swollen face after the bite

A dog owner is warning walkers after her puppy was bitten in the face by an adder snake during a walk.

Labrador cross Rocco became unresponsive and irritable at Birk Brow just outside Guisborough, on Saturday.

His owner Hollie Serginson, from Lingdale, feared she was going to lose him on the 45-minute drive to the closest emergency vet.

The 16-week-old developed a swollen face but made it in time to be injected with anti venom and pain relief.

The young puppy is currently recovering at home. However, he still feels lethargic from all of the medicine.

Hollie was charged a total of PS1.8k for treatment. However, he is now feeling better.







The puppy seemed unresponsive.
(

Image:

GAZETTE MEDIA COMPANY SYNDICATION)

Sign up to our TeamDogs newsletter for your weekly dose of dog news, pictures and stories.

Hollie said: “It was a scary situation I wouldn’t ever want someone else to be in.

My dad saw Rocco hersing, slithering through the bushes and angrily. Rocco jumped after being bitten, but didn’t complain or whimper. Rocco began swelling immediately. He became floppy, unresponsive quickly and dad was forced to drive to Stockton Vets because that was the only one open after hours.

“During the 45 minute drive my dad thought he was going to lose him as he was that unwell.







Hollie was scared when Rocco nearly made it
(

Image:

GAZETTE MEDIA COMPANY SYNDICATION)

“Rocco had a nasty reaction to the antivenom and was kept in hospital overnight. He also received pain medication and drips.

It was horrifying, and we are trying to bring attention. Rocco would have been interested in the snake that was positioned along the walkway.

” Please be cautious when you take your four-legged friend over the moors this time of year. “

The adder, the UK’s only poisonous snake, hibernates between October and March.







Adders is the UK’s poisonous snake
(

Image:

Getty Images)

They can be found all over the country. Their backs are greyish with a distinctive zig-zag design. ..

Adders are shy and won’t bite dogs unless scared. However, they will approach other dogs without fear.

The PDSA warns that bites can lead to serious health problems for dogs, including kidney damage and liver disease. If venom is administered directly into the bloodstream, it may cause rapid death.







Adder biting can cause death in dogs
(

Image:

Getty Images)

To prevent your dog from being bitten, you should keep him on a leash and walk on a straight path. If your dog is bitten by an adder, the PDSA first aid guidelines advise pet owners to calm down, remember the shape of the snake, but not to try to locate it.

You should notify your veterinarian and take your dog with you to the car.

Do you have a dog story to tell? Contact nia.dalton@reachplc.com.

Read More

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here